-by Brian May
I have been a part of the Special Olympics Polar Plunge as a plunger for the last 4 years, with the last three being part of the SUPER PLUNGERS team. Those are the crazy people that plunge once every hour for 24 hours straight and each has different backgrounds. This year I will be leading the Timbers Army plunge team, and luckily for us, the Timbers Army team will be performing a single plunge on the 25th of February.
The Polar Plunge is a fun event to help raise money for the Special Olympics.
Where does the money raised by the polar plunge go? I’m glad you asked.
- $50 - Provides an athlete with training equipment for one season
- $100 - Provides uniforms for one athlete for the entire year (3 sports seasons)
- $250 - Provides training and equipment for an entire basketball team for one season
- $500 - Allows an entire youth soccer team to compete for one season
- $1000 - Allows an entire team to travel and compete in Summer State Games
There will be a special Merritt Badge for the people who plunge in the frigid waters of Broughton Beach.
I’m hoping to get at least 107 of my fellow Timbers Army members to take the plunge with me on February 25th, 2017. No need to worry about missing any of the preseason tournament action at Providence Park, as there are no matches scheduled for the plunge day.
To join the Timbers Army Polar Plunge Team, please visit the following URL: http://soor.convio.net/goto/TimbersArmy
I hope to see you at the plunge!
The Plunge Details
The Portland Polar Plunge is located on Broughton Beach on Marine Drive.
Tips for a great plunge:
- Arrive early! Registration will open at 8:30am. We have been working hard to make things move faster, but be sure leave yourself enough time to get parked, take the shuttle/walk to the plunge site and get checked in. The plunge will start at 11am!
- We will have Starbucks onsite serving coffee and hot chocolate. We will also have hot soup for the plungers!
- Don't forget that you can wear a robe, a towel or something to keep you warm while you wait. You'll be able to drop it just before the plunge, and come back to it right after.
- Bring an extra pair of shoes to plunge in.
- Bring a towel.
- You can turn in cash and/or checks on-site.
- Bring a bag for your wet clothes, as well as a change of clothes. We will have changing tents!
- Wear a costume!