Portland, OR; Seattle, WA; Vancouver, B.C. — The representatives of the Cascadia Cup Council in Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver have jointly agreed that the results of the following regular season matches will count toward awarding of the Cascadia Cup in 2018:
- Saturday, June 30th, Sounders v Timbers
- Saturday, July 21st, Sounders v Whitecaps
- Saturday, August 11th, Timbers v Whitecaps
- Sunday, August 26th, Timbers v Sounders
- Saturday, September 15th, Whitecaps v Sounders
- Sunday, October 28th, Whitecaps v Timbers
As in past years, the Cascadia Cup rules and tiebreakers for these six matches are as follows:
- 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw
- The team with the most points after all six Cascadia Cup matches is the winner
Tiebreakers are, in order:
- Greater number of points earned in matches between the teams concerned
- Greater goal difference in matches between the teams concerned
- Greater number of goals scored in matches between the teams concerned
- Re-apply first three criteria if two or more teams are still tied
- Greater goal difference in all cup matches
- Greater number of goals scored in all cup matches
- Smaller number of disciplinary points in all cup matches (yellow = 1 point, red = 2 points)
The result of the Sunday, May 13th match between the Portland Timbers and Seattle Sounders will not be considered toward awarding the Cascadia Cup.
The Cascadia Cup Council regrets that Major League Soccer made this decision necessary by scheduling an unbalanced number of matches among the three teams. Supporters of all three Cascadia Cup teams prefer a balanced schedule going forward, meaning that making such determinations would not be required.
About the Cascadia Cup Council: The Cascadia Cup Council is a recognized not-for-profit entrusted with the management of the Cascadia Cup. The Council is made up of one representative from each of the three founding Cascadia Cup supporters groups. The current Cascadia Cup Council representatives are:
- Fernando Machicado - Timbers Army
- Heather Satterberg - Emerald City Supporters
- Peter Czimmermann - Vancouver Southsiders.